Storming the Bastille
- Most of the history of this time period that affected England was actually taking place in France.
- The French Revolution began on July 14, 1789, when a mob stormed the Bastille, a Paris prison for political prisoners.
- This impacted England in that the ruling class felt threatened by what was going on in France.
- The Reign of Terror: King Louis XVI of France was charged with treason and beheaded. Various royalists and moderates were being executed by a group of people called the Jacobins. People were scared for their lives.
- 1793, France declared war on Britain. This led to a series of wars that lasted 22 years. Napolean wanted to expand France's territory.
- In England, Industrial Revolution was causing problems with overcrowded factories and unsafe working conditions.
- Working class was growing restless.
- In 1824, a new law came into effect that permitted first labor unions
- In 1833, slavery was abolished